Friday, April 25, 2008

Meanderings...

Are we not having unusual weather here on the Island?! According to the Yard manager, whom we lovingly refer to as Yard Boy, especially if imitating a rich. pretentious woman, states it's the weirdest weather year he's seen in decades. Unfortunately, it's wreaking havoc on their sales.

Life is a hive around here lately. Both boys are back at home, and getting on their feet. Taylor is working with another lawn service, and he's moving toward operating it while the owner goes overseas, which to us Islanders, or South Islanders, means Mukilteo as well as anywhere else. But this guy is headed to Indonesia. And their season is getting into high gear now.

Miles wanted to get out of Seattle again, and is working for one local establishment to learn the kitchen management aspect of cooking, and he will later this summer try for another local kitchen that leans toward French style so he can learn a bit of that.

Eventually, both will want to move out so as to live their own life style. In the meantime though, it's quite busy when they are around. Which seems to come in bursts.

Jody is working the yard now at the nursery, and doing the best she can. Her mom died last November, and her sister has cancer that isn't surrendering to antidotes. She also found out this week that a co-workers wife was given two weeks to live, and a former co-worker's five year old son may have to undergo chemo again. So it's been hard on her.

Her and I have been watching the Oprah event on Monday nights with Eckhart Tolle. It's based on his new book, A New Earth. I'm on my second time through, which is to say that if I recommended any book for people to read this year, A New Earth would be it. That followed by Wayne Dyers The Power Of Intention. Both books have been quite important to us, and we think would do wonders for any who read them.

Speaking of reading, I just finished On The Road by Jack Kerouac. I loved it! At times it seemed a bit sophomoric, but that's just me. His style was very different, as were the experiences on which he based the story. By the time I was done, I was quite impressed. Now I'm onto The Dharma Bums.

Which comes slowly, like the other story did. Why? Well, I keep the book in the work vehicle, so the only time I read it is during ferry trips or work lunch breaks. Otherwise I have been reading Tolle's new book, and Jay Feldman's The Day The Mississippi Ran Backwards. That was a good book. I had known for years that part of the bluff my in-laws had built their home on in Wisconsin had been busted up by those quakes. So I decided to put it into context, and Feldman's book does a good job of doing so.

Otherwise my reading these days is limited by my attendance at Fire Officer Academy. I'm aiming at the Lieutenant test in December, and this class is the prep for it. Besides the text (thankfully small) there are several other items to read up on for the test: Haz Mat Operations, Principles of Foam Fire Fighting, that sort of stuff. Enough to dominate my reading time though.

And in all this activity, we continue to rise every morning and breathe. We are grateful for the health we have, for life in general actually. That we are learning, working, laughing. Some good meals, and good wine, times of silence, and some of loud music.

Our lives remind me of canoeing Canadian wilderness rivers when we were in high school. They were narrow, meandered, and you never knew what was around the corner. Sometimes it meant getting out and carrying everything. Or pitching tents on 10 degree embankments in the rain. Eating dried sausage while soaking wet. Sometimes it was a beautiful vista. Once it was a moose. A real close moose.

We are learning to flow.

No comments: